It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:02 am

John Carmack Resigns from id Software

Interested in games? So are we! Share your thoughts, strategies, and tips with the rest of the guild! (Previously Non-Warcraft Game Chatter.)

John Carmack Resigns from id Software

Postby Zancarius » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:13 pm

I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Re: John Carmack Resigns from id Software

Postby Grimblast » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:15 am

Read about that last week. As the Oculus and similar devices become a thing, someone like Carmack working in that market will make things a bit more interesting. It's sad to see him move on from ID but it's not like we didn't see that coming once Bethesda acquired them. To be fair, Carmack has his hands in all kinds of stuff and it makes sense he would like to focus more on his other ventures.
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:13 am

Grimblast wrote:Read about that last week

Yeah, saw it on HN and forgot to post it a while ago. I was going through some forgotten tabs.

This is the second major resignation at id, so I suspect Bethesda's pressure probably has something to do with it. Particularly since they've dramatically changed much of how id works internally (Rage got rushed after the acquisition) and how they treat their game engines (Tech 5 will never be open sourced or licensed to 3rd parties, for instance). It seems stupid, and I'm sure the market competition for game engines factored partially into the decision, but if Bethesda wants to trash id, that's fine. They haven't produced anything overly interesting since Doom 3, and that felt like a tech demo more than a game.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Tirian » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:20 am

Sad but true. There you go, creative destruction.
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Return to The Gaming Forum