It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:35 pm

Server Status [Updated October 5]

Minecraft isn't just a chip off the ol' block. It's an addictive and deceptively complicated construction sandbox game. Play in survival mode (multiplayer, too!) while building fortifications to protect against zombie hordes--and other baddies that appear during the night--or try your hand at massive projects in creative mode. We run a local Minecraft server instance for guild members and others on an invite-only basis. See the sticky posts in this forum for details!
Forum rules
This forum is specifically intended for Minecraft-related discussions.

Server Status [Updated October 5]

Postby Zancarius » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

Oct. 5 update: See this post below. The server is still running 1.7.3 and will be until 1.9 comes out, and I can confirm that 1.10 won't break the terrain generator again.

Update: I'm testing out the Minecraft server. It's currently online, but it might be restarted over the next couple days.

The Minecraft server is currently offline due to 1) the move as mentioned here and 2) I haven't really taken the time to get it set up. We've backed everything up so the goon world is still entirely intact (plus we run nightly backups), but I have yet to take the time to extract the archives and restart the server. We'll probably be getting around to that tonight or tomorrow. I've got some additional fixes to do beforehand since some of the plugins require architecture-specific drivers and the move was from x86 to x86_64. This shouldn't affect the world, though, because Minecraft largely relies on floats for its world positioning and 32-bit ints for everything else.

Also, 1.8 is due out next week, which means that the server will probably be sticking around on 1.7.3 for a while. Again, if you plan on updating immediately, make a copy of your .minecraft directory.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Re: Server (Mostly) Online

Postby MaxRile » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:06 am

When will it be back up? The new updates are really nice single player wise and most of the other servers arnt running 1.8 as of now.
Alice: How long is forever?
White Rabbit: Sometimes, Just one second.
-Lewis Carrol
MaxRile
Crazy Goon

Postby Zancarius » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:23 am

It's been up since the 9th.

Bear in mind that I only update the server when Bukkit receives updates. Currently, Bukkit is compatible with 1.7.3. Plus, I had to image my Windows hard drive last night since my previous disk was failing, so I haven't had a chance to do much.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Grimblast » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 am

Patience, Grasshopper!
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Postby MaxRile » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:25 pm

op sorry
Alice: How long is forever?
White Rabbit: Sometimes, Just one second.
-Lewis Carrol
MaxRile
Crazy Goon

Postby Zancarius » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 pm

I've you've made the mistake of updating Minecraft without taking a backup of your current Minecraft install, you may need to use MCNostalgia to get it back.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Minecraft 1.9 will be out shortly, possibly in another week or two, and as such, Josh and I have agreed that we're going to be holding back on updating the Minecraft server until all of the world generation code is up and running. This means that the MC server will be pegged at 1.7.3 until further notice.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:21 am

I'm sure that some of you are probably wondering why the MC server is still running outdated code. Don't panic, I haven't forgotten about it.

As I mentioned in my last post, we've agreed to hold back on updating the server due to potentially breaking changes. So far, I'm please about that decision, because I've noticed that not only does 1.8 break 1.7-generated terrain (and prior), but 1.9 also creates breaks in the terrain for worlds generated by 1.8. This means that we would have otherwise had to regenerate two new worlds in order to avoid general weirdness.

The downside is that 1.9 is probably not going to be released until on or around October 18, and Bukkit support will probably follow a week or two after that. This means you'll need to hold on tight and be patient as I don't really like the idea of regenerating multiple new worlds on a server each time a breaking version comes out.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to Minecraft