It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

Various Disconnect Fixes

Category for World of Warcraft-related discussions.

Various Disconnect Fixes

Postby Grimblast » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:21 pm

I was doing some reading in the WOW forums today and stumbled upon the following information which might help some guildies that get odd and frequent disconnects. As I get time, I'll grab the other info from the links she listed and post those directly to our forum as well in the event those posts go poof! This seems to cover a wide range of different types of disconnects and I know some members might be able to fix their various issues they have in say Dalaran or Porting or Hearthing somewhere.

The super-quick and easy "Constant disconnection problem fix" guide!
Version 3 - Last Revised on 8-30-09

============[ Section 1 ]===============
What is the so-called constant disconnection
problem this guide addresses and fixes?
---------------------------------------------------------------

On August 17th, 2009, Blizzard implemented the version 3.2.0 (10314) patch into the live servers.
This patch, unlike those in the past, was a little bit different than others and caused some problems for some users.
Most commonly, there were the conflicts with anti-virus software. But for many others it also introduced an issue causing random and constant disconnections -- even as often as every 3 minutes, despite there being no existing network issues or other possible explanations for the excessive disconnects.

This simple solution guide addresses only one type of disconnection problem, so please make sure you meet ALL of the following criteria, otherwise you might only be wasting your time. Section 3 has info for other kinds of disconnection problems.

- Your disconnection problems did NOT exist prior to the Aug 17th patch.
- You are being constantly disconnected and returned to the login screen with the message: "You have been disconnected from the server"
- Your disconnections are not dependent on any specific action you are doing in-game, such as attending a large raid or pulling mobs.
- Your disconnections can happen at any time, and do. They occur just as often when you're out in the middle of an unpopulated zone fishing as they do while walking through Dalaran.
- You are being disconnected at LEAST every 10-20 minutes, but sometimes it can happen every 3-5 minutes as well.
- Your disconnects happen quickly, sometimes freezing for only a moment before being kicked back to the login screen. You can log back in each time without a problem.
- This problem has been going on consistently for at least a week or more.
- Checking Files with the Repair Tool has not helped at all.

And just as importantly:

- Moving or deleting your WTF, Cache, and Interface folders have had no effect.
- You have done multiple trace-routes and they've all come back fine. Your latency is great.
- If using a router, you have tried connecting directly to the modem.
- Performing the itemcache.wdb fix had no effect.

Some other things to note that may help you determine whether you are experiencing the particular issue covered in this guide, is that the problem is NOT account-dependent. If you have a friend that has not been experiencing constant disconnections and you try their account on your computer, it will still disconnect you just as often.
This is also evident when two or more people are playing on the same network and not every computer is experiencing the disconnection problems. If all computers disconnected at the same time, this would probably suggest an actual network issue.

If by now, you are certain that your symptoms fit those described above, then it's time to get it fixed!
Otherwise, please see Section 3 for links and fixes regarding other kinds of disconnection problems.

============[ Section 2 ]===============
The new and improved quick fix. This is the
third and best method we have come up with!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Some things to note before we get started.

- You will NOT need to delete or move your WTF, Interface, or Cache folders.
- The problem is actually located in your Data folder. The Aug 17th 3.2.0 patch contributed to the corruption of the Data/patch.MPQ and Data/patch-2.MPQ for some users. The reason for this is still unknown as of this writing. Also unknown, is why the repair tool fails to pick this up and correct it.
- This fix will involve forcing the repair tool to download 4gb of data in order to correct the problem. The download could take some time for some users. It will not be a super-quick download.
- If you have access to someone else's WoW folder on another computer and they have NOT been experiencing any of the disconnection problems covered in this guide, you can get a copy of those two files from their computer and avoid having to redownload them. The two files *WILL* fit on a single DVD if you want to burn them.

With that said, let's begin!

STEP 1. Navigate to your WoW folder. (or right-click on your WoW icon, click properties, and then click on
'Find Target' or "Open File Location")
STEP 2. Go into the Data folder.
STEP 3. Delete "patch.MPQ" and "patch-2.MPQ".
STEP 4. Leave the Data folder and go back to the main WoW folder.
------------------------------
If you do not have access to someone else's disconnect-free WoW folder, then:
STEP 5. Double-click on Repair to start the Repair Tool
STEP 6. Click on 'Check files only". The Repair Tool will take care of re-downloading the two files with
replacements that do not cause disconnections. If it mentions having to roll back to an earlier
version of WoW and insists on downloading more data, this is normal. Do whatever it says =)

If you DO have access to someone else's disconnect-free WoW folder, then:
STEP 5. Get a copy of their Data/patch.MPQ and Data/patch-2.MPQ by any means necessary.
STEP 6. Put them into your own World of Warcraft/Data folder.
------------------------------
STEP 7. Time to log back in and verify that the disconnection problems are finally over!

============[ Section 3 ]================
Links and fix threads for other kinds of
disconnections, not necessarily from this patch
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This section will be updated as new fixes and threads are discovered.

Instructions on performing a trace-route:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1&pageNo=2

If you are using a 2Wire router:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 88&sid=1#6

How to fix disconnections while in raids, Dalaran, porting, or any other heavy activity:
http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/cadfael/3 ... cting.html

Disconnecting after logging in, aka "The Itemcache Issue":
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1&pageNo=1

Disconnected while logging in, or failing to log in:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 7223&sid=1

============[ Section 4 ]==============
Additional notes and extra reading, in case
you haven't yet had enough!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Prior to this new and improved method of fixing this particular issue, we did not yet have the cause narrowed down so this thread used to contain two other methods for a solution. The first was to reinstall from the WOTLK DVD and have the patcher bring it back up to the current version.
The second method was to copy an entire WoW folder (minus the Screenshots, Interface, Patches, and WTF folders). But now that we know where the problem lies, a measure as drastic as this is no longer necessary.

In either case, it is perfectly safe (and advised) to back up your own Screenshots, Interface, and WTF folders so you do not lose any settings while performing a fix. You should have already confirmed that these folders (and the Cache folder) are not problematic for you prior to performing the fix as detailed in this post.

Cited from http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 7523&sid=1

note: quoted it above in the event the original thread vanishes
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Very interesting!

I would've thought their repair utility ought to detect any sort of corruption, but it would make sense that they wouldn't check the archive as a whole but rather by individual parts.

I'm very curious which file or files it is in the MPQ that might be the source of the problem. One possibility would be to extract it in its entirety (lots of space!), collect MD5 sums of each file, and then compare them against a known-good archive.

But, that's probably far too much effort for something that we cannot fix ourselves.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Tirian » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:25 am

Thanks Turus! I'll be trying these fixes after I get a paper done today/tomorrow.
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Postby alacor » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:26 am

Thanks going to try it.
Alacor
alacor
Officer

Postby Tirian » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:47 am

Heads up guys -- I tried this fix, and the repair utility couldn't fix (re-add) the patch files. So I'm reinstalling entirely.

EDIT: There's now 523 posts on the page about these spec-related crashes. One response from Blizzard, from October. Nada mas.
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Return to World of Warcraft