It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:08 am

Skryim: I just want you all to know...

Interested in games? So are we! Share your thoughts, strategies, and tips with the rest of the guild! (Previously Non-Warcraft Game Chatter.)

Skryim: I just want you all to know...

Postby Tirian » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:01 am

... that I just stopped by the local equivalent of GameStop, and Skyrim here is selling legally for 599 rubles ($19.04).
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Re: Skryim: I just want you all to know...

Postby Grimblast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:09 am

Always interesting to see the price of such games else where. I am curious how Bethesda makes a profit from it given what they charge in the US. Oh wait, that's how they make up for it. :wink:
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 pm

They can't charge an unreasonable price overseas, particularly in Russia, because they'd lose out to the pirates. I'm sure they justify it by figuring that it's better to make a sale, even at a much lower price point, than it is to make no sale at all.

Though, game prices here in the US have been inflated for years, even before the screams of piracy. Massive studio overhead is a lot of it, but I can't really see how they justify charging $60 for a digital copy of a game that's also $60 at your local brick and mortar store when it costs peanuts to distribute...
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Tirian » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:01 am

Correct on all counts sir. And you know, I pretty much don't buy pirated software here, because legal retail is so reasonable :-)
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah, no reason to.

In a strange twist of irony, this is why piracy is good for the consumer: It forces retail prices down and (sometimes) forces companies to provide more value added features. Although, that latter point is iffy; Russian companies produce software with some of the most draconian DRM imaginable while US/European companies tend to strip DRM out of products sold in Russia/China. Weird world we live in...

Though, I do consider lack of DRM value added as you'd agree. Horray for pirates!
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to The Gaming Forum