It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:39 pm

Rift going Free to play June 12

Interested in games? So are we! Share your thoughts, strategies, and tips with the rest of the guild! (Previously Non-Warcraft Game Chatter.)

Rift going Free to play June 12

Postby Grimblast » Tue May 14, 2013 10:46 am

I saw this coming after seeing that Defiance was a free to play game from Trion Worlds. Rift is gong free to play june 12. For those of us that have the game already, we get at least some meager perks but not much. They gotta earn their money somehow and the in game store is it! Rift was fun for a short while but thats because the game didn't feel social to me. Things may have changed since last I played it(a dang long time ago) but I might take a peek in the coming months just to see.
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Re: Rift going Free to play June 12

Postby Zancarius » Tue May 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Seems like free-to-play becomes a graveyard for games that didn't initially start out as such. That's not to say it's a bad model, though, since several F2P games that have figured out how to monetize the genre are doing well (League of Legends comes to mind).

It'll be interesting to see what happens. The fundamental problem with MMOs is that players have (generally) finite time and it doesn't help that the market is awfully saturated right now. That said, F2P versus a subscription seems to be the best model for suckering encouraging new players to sign up.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to The Gaming Forum