It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am

How video game addiction can destroy your life

Interested in games? So are we! Share your thoughts, strategies, and tips with the rest of the guild! (Previously Non-Warcraft Game Chatter.)

How video game addiction can destroy your life

Postby Zancarius » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 pm

http://www.vice.com/read/video-game-add ... -lives-456

Fitting it's on Vice. (Incidentally, I usually avoid Vice because of their knee jerk, sky-is-falling articles.)

First, I'm not dismissing the contents of the article: There are people who get addicted to anything. It just happens that games can be highly addictive to people with specific personality types, in certain age groups (sometimes not), or have less-than-stellar social skills. It's a problem, certainly.

Second, there's something dangerous about these kinds of articles. As usual with similar circumstances, we have the typical army of "we must do something"s who make demands of the medical profession (or government) in the hopes of combating such a horrible, horrible disorder. Here's the money quote:

The [Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders] warns that such "persistent and recurrent online activity results in clinically significant impairment or distress," adding that certain neural pathways are triggered just like a drug addicts' would be when ingesting their substance of choice. To put that comparison in perspective, there could be about 1 million more diagnosable dependent gamers in America than coke addicts.

(Emphasis partially mine; "1 million more" is emphasized in the original.)

Yes, it's true there are people who go on gaming binges and die--like what recently happened this passed week in South Korea--but I'd argue that gaming addiction very likely has fewer overall deaths than highly addictive drugs or alcohol. I can't help but read articles like this and wonder to myself: Are we really living in a society where we have to legislate everything for fear it might hurt someone?

Then I read the warning labels on everything from posters to furniture kits.

Sigh.

So yes, doing too much of anything is bad, but if you're going to pick something, you might as well pick something that's less likely to harm others. If you're addicted to games and don't smoke, well, props to you.

Everything in moderation.

I still had to share this, though, because I had a hard time getting through this article without getting annoyed.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Re: How video game addiction can destroy your life

Postby Elade » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:55 am

Contemplating suicide over Counter Strike?! That is bad.

Joking aside, interesting how I see no cited sources anywhere in that article. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but who are these "experts" anyway? As far as I know, most qualified neurologists and psychoanalysts are off studying things like depression and Alzheimer's. Do some people get gaming addiction problems? Sure. But I'll need more evidence before I'm convinced it's as serious a problem as Vice makes it out to be.

As an aside, I do wonder how gaming and people's social lives will interact as games become more and more immersive/realistic. I certainly don't see people as addicted to the firs Mario Bros. as I do to Skyrim. :lol:
"I am a cipher. A cipher wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
Elade
Officer

Re: How video game addiction can destroy your life

Postby Zancarius » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:58 am

Vice, Vox, Variety, and the various Gawker publications are all alike. Find an issue, demonize, hope for legislation. I'll bet Joe Lieberman and his wife would be absolutely seething if they read that article considering their anti-game-violence crusade. Still, if you're going to be addicted to something, it may as well be something that won't harm other people.

Elade wrote:I certainly don't see people as addicted to the firs Mario Bros. as I do to Skyrim.

Mario Bros. also (thankfully) never had nude patches. ;)
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to The Gaming Forum