It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:57 am

Broadband and cable prices in Moscow

For game and non-game related chatter, links, and other goodies, go here.

Broadband and cable prices in Moscow

Postby Tirian » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:52 am

If anyone wants to have some fun with comparison, see how cheap Moscow broadband and cable is:

http://onlime.ru/doublepay/calc/

Basically, I'll be getting 20Mb/s downloads and 93 cable channels for $21/month.
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Re: Broadband and cable prices in Moscow

Postby Grimblast » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 am

Funny how that works out when here in the states. Cable companies are too busy not being regulated and jacking their prices up. Such a wonderful situation to be in :-P. Yet another reason not to have cable TV I suppose. Once my existing contract is over with my satellite service, I'm going to ditch that to save money since I just watch whatever on the internet when I feel like video entertainment or just buy a series/movie to watch. Thanks for sharing the info though. I was a little curious what you pay over there for broadband and to be honest, that's a damn good deal(TV stuff is a bonus). Is the up time good or does it have any dips in service?
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Re: Broadband and cable prices in Moscow

Postby Tirian » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:42 am

Much like in most large US cities, Moscow has different available providers depending on where you live. The company that pretty much* has the monopoly for my building charges 720 rubles ($22 right now) per months for 16 Mb/s downloads and no TV. They suck for service. Yesterday, I had four hours of downtime during the day (been working from home this week). That said, I've rarely had downtime during weekday evenings or weekends, which is why I haven't tried harder to change.

* I said "pretty much" because I could probably find another provider. These guys have the monopoly on cable to this building, but there might be DSL options that I just didn't find in 10 minutes of searching. There's also neighborhood providers that make a deal for high-end connections with the big boys (I'm talking more B2B providers here, I've heard that some of them rely on some kind of satellite services too?) and then run subcontractor services with LANs through a small number of buildings, but I've always felt less secure on those.

The service I quoted you in the OP is not only cheaper, but my landlord claims they're reliable (he uses them at home). I'll see next week ;-)
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Return to General Chat