It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:21 am

Rift preview @ Gamespy

Interested in games? So are we! Share your thoughts, strategies, and tips with the rest of the guild! (Previously Non-Warcraft Game Chatter.)

Rift preview @ Gamespy

Postby Tirian » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:56 am

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/heroes-of-tela ... pid=gspy53

I love the class concept and the variations on the rift content. Not so keen on the old-fashioned quests or the overly serious art (LotRO, anyone?). Will be interesting to see how this goes.
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Re: Rift preview @ Gamespy

Postby Grimblast » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:35 am

I'm not too impressed by how they decided to advertise their game. "This isn't Azeroth anymore" line doesn't do them any good. I think if I saw a different advertisement I might have shown a little more interest. The detailed graphics remind me of Oblivion. Their souls system sounds similar to dual specialization but with more options. Their Q/A in that article provides some incite but I probably won't try it unless there is a free trial I can try just to poke around with it.
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Re: Rift preview @ Gamespy

Postby Zancarius » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:49 am

Companies really need to distance themselves from Blizzard in all forms--including comparisons--if they wish to be taken seriously. I think it shows a lack of creativity from their marketing department, if that's how they've advertised themselves. Plus, I think the fantasy MMO concept is a horse that has more or less been beaten extensively post mortem; I don't mean to say that the genre doesn't need any other installments, but I will say that any company trying to compete with WoW is going to have a very difficult uphill battle.

That said, the graphics look impressive. It seems they put somewhat more effort into medieval appearances (correctly so?) than other fantasy MMOs. So kudos to them for doing something no one (except maybe Guild Wars) has done before. I'll be curious to see how it turns out, especially since Blizzard really does need some competition. Maybe Rift can provide that.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to The Gaming Forum