It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:35 pm

Warhammer is out

Interested in games? So are we! Share your thoughts, strategies, and tips with the rest of the guild! (Previously Non-Warcraft Game Chatter.)

Warhammer is out

Postby Tirian » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:51 pm

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-online/911379p1.html

Apparently Warhammer came out today, I didn't even realize.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I will probably try it when they release a trial, but I don't plan to buy it retail.

Though it will be really interesting to see if the RvR combat offers real endgame alternatives more enjoyable than monotonous losing battlegrounds and grinding the same dungeons and raids again and again. If they really succeed in making it something ongoing and player-driven they could have the golden key to breaking the MMO grind.

... or it could just be crap... y'know, we'll see.
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:48 pm

Tirian wrote: If they really succeed in making it something ongoing and player-driven they could have the golden key to breaking the MMO grind.

Hmm, given how the genre operates now, taking the grind out of it is likely to bankrupt the company--unless, as you said, they come up with something really innovative. The ever-present carrot-in-the-face that WoW exploits has worked well for their pocketbooks. I dare say... some people actually like the never ending grind. (Perhaps the early industrialization factory worker mindset still exists in a predominant thread amongst even the gamer population?)
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Tirian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:57 pm

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-online/914059p1.html

Fascinating. They may have done it.

I've already spent my gaming cash for this month and have too much homework anyway, but this review makes me think I may want to try Warhammer. It appears that Mythic may have taken the lessons from WoW and from their own DAoC and come up with a game that could really remain dynamic, not simply level grinds in the early game and rep grinds in the endgame.

If anyone else is trying it or decides to try it, please let me know!
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Postby Grimblast » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:45 pm

So far, I haven't been impressed by the game. Sort of disappointing but then again, I would play their warhammer 40k if they made that into an MMO.
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Return to The Gaming Forum