It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

Tribes Time! (First Version)

Some games get old, but they seldom go forgotten! If you're interested in sharing updates on old classics, reminiscing about decades old frags, or feeling nostalgic, you've come to the right place.
Forum rules
This forum is for classic games and their kin. Nearly any game older than 10 years is fair game, although titles that may have slipped into obscurity in spite of containing ground-breaking technology for their time are also acceptable even if they happen to be more recent.

Tribes Time! (First Version)

Postby Zancarius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:28 am

Well, it's that time of the year again. Time for--Tribes!

After experimenting with running a Tribes (version 1) dedicated server under Wine, I found that it works--and it works REALLY damn well. Right now, Turus' (better known as Grimblast) permission, I installed xorg, Enlightenment, and a few other things necessary for running Wine from remote. (Oh, and Tribes of course!)

So... here's what you need to do:

1) Download Tribes. It's free.
2) Download the Tribes 1.8 - 1.11 patch here.
3) Download the full mission pack (I'm lazy, so it includes the ones that were distributed with Tribes) from here.
4) The missions will extract to [icode]base/missions/*[/icode], so just copy [icode]base[/icode] to your Tribes directory. You need to have this installed to play all of our maps.
5) Launch the game, click on Options -> Network -> Add master server. For the master, put in Grimblast for the name (well, the name doesn't matter much) and grimblast.com:28001 for the address (you need the port spec).
6) Click play, go to join game, and you'll receive a list with exactly one server on it.
7) Enjoy.

I'm currently working on some stuff to see if I can get Tribes 2 up and running. Unfortunately, since their authentication servers are offline, you can't connect using an online game anymore. I'm not sure if the network stack was smart enough to differentiate between non-routable IPs... it's hard to say. I've read that it's possible to connect directly to an IP address, but I'm not sure if you have to be in roughly the same subnet.

More updates on that later.

I'd like to send a big thanks! to Turus for letting me experiment with his server. We're probably going to be having a few Tribes nights with some of the local WoW guys here, too. Feel free to pop on.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:33 am

Update: The download.com link may not be working. Download from fileplanet instead.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:41 am

Update from Shiznitz. This link seems to work.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:47 pm

I've heard there's some trouble getting Tribes to work under Vista. Nofix posted a patched binary to this site. I've seen some of his work before, so I'm pretty sure it's safe. However, standard disclaimers remain: Use at your own risk.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Shameless bump for great justice (and because Sno keeps linking this for the win).
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Snobal » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:23 pm

LOL, sorry... ><

I just happened to remember it from ages ago because I thought Tribes was one of the coolest things since... since... before World of Warcraft?
Snobal
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:05 pm

I agree. In fact, I still think Tribes > [strike]most other games[/strike] all other games.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Snobal » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:34 pm

LOL, I have to agree that Tribes is definately up there.
Snobal
Officer

Return to Ye Old Classics