It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:31 pm

Rejoice, upgrades update!

For game and non-game related chatter, links, and other goodies, go here.

Rejoice, upgrades update!

Postby Grimblast » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:35 pm

Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:14 pm

I was doing okay until I read the player responses. The lack of maturity and sheer idiocy demonstrated by most of the players is ridiculous. At least Blizzard is making some effort to communicate, which is good to see. I wouldn't be too surprised if Terenas were down for about two days (or more) during the upgrade cycle.

I also wonder if part of the problem could have been circumvented if they had chosen a virtualization approach, as with Guild Wars and other games by Play NC. Rather than characters being bound to a specific realm, players could choose realms sort of like instances--if one world were too crowded, simply select another server. I suppose the design of WoW was implemented with immense popularity and simplicity in mind, and I don't know how games like Guild Wars would have handled scalability if they were even half as popular as WoW. It's nothing more than a what if scenario but one that I would like to entertain.

Thanks for posting this, your vigilance is appreciated.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Snobal » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:06 pm

Woot! finally..... im going to be mad if this doesnt solve the latency problem... though i dont see why it wouldnt.
Snobal
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:12 pm

The new realms (operating on the new hardware) don't seem to be replete with the same problems that currently plague Terenas and other day zero servers. I'd imagine it should solve the issue, unless it's a network bottleneck.

The biggest concern I can think of is if latency issues crop up with the new hardware; if that happens, all new realms will be experiencing it eventually and transfering won't help. I do think they have enough new realms to entice most players, so I can't imagine that being a problem in the future.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to General Chat