It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 pm

Important notice regarding the launcher and version 1.6.2

Minecraft isn't just a chip off the ol' block. It's an addictive and deceptively complicated construction sandbox game. Play in survival mode (multiplayer, too!) while building fortifications to protect against zombie hordes--and other baddies that appear during the night--or try your hand at massive projects in creative mode. We run a local Minecraft server instance for guild members and others on an invite-only basis. See the sticky posts in this forum for details!
Forum rules
This forum is specifically intended for Minecraft-related discussions.

Important notice regarding the launcher and version 1.6.2

Postby Zancarius » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:25 pm

With the release of Minecraft v1.6, you may need to grab the latest launcher in order to update your client (OS X version, Linux version). The old launcher probably doesn't support some of the features required by the latest Minecraft client. As an added bonus, the new launcher supports different Minecraft profiles which enable you to revert to an older version and thus connect to servers that haven't yet updated.

The only downside is that the newest launcher doesn't set the platform lookAndFeel() for GTK/QT platforms, so it uses the default (read: exceptionally ugly) Swing widget theme. I'm not sure if it sets the look-and-feel for Windows or not; if not, then there's a possibility it'll look terrible under Windows, too. Misery loves company. At least it's functional, though, if a bit slow...
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Re: Important notice regarding the launcher and version 1.6.

Postby Zancarius » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:07 am

According to the logs, it appears that a couple of you have been attempting to connect to the server using an older version of Minecraft. I suspect that you're still using the old launcher which implies you're not receiving the update notifications. The Minecraft client should alert you to the new version at the menu screen. If you haven't yet taken that as a hint to upgrade, I recommend that you do so. The latest version (Linux, Mac) is available from the Minecraft download page.

Since Jargath, Elade, and myself (possibly also Sunder, Grim, and HG) have all been able to connect, apparently without issue, I can only surmise that it's someone who doesn't regularly read the forums for updates. ;)

Yes, that's a hint. Cosh, you'll need to update your client. The same goes for your compatriot who plays with you.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Cosh Holga » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Ive had the 1.6 update before bucket supported it and connected fine about a week or so ago. Not sure who was trying to connect then lol.

Re-tested today and can connect just fine only prob ive had is with the launcher itself was messing up so had to remove mine craft from computer completely and reinstall from fresh...odd cus it logged me into the game fine earlier oh well this works now but other then that haven't had a problem connecting to the MC server. thanks for thinking of me though ;)
Age, Wisdom and Treachery will always conquer over Youth, Vigor and Impatiens.
Cosh Holga
Hired Goon

Postby Zancarius » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Sure. I've seen a number of IPs including one that was in a range you used that appeared to be querying the server (i.e. what happens when it views the server list) but never connecting. My only conclusion then was that you and your compatriots were having some degree of trouble due to version differences. The server log doesn't provide much more information than that, so it's plausible that you were instead examining the server status to see if anyone was on. The reason I suspected it might've been a missed update because 1) a launcher update was required to get to 1.6.x and 2) since we don't update until Bukkit updates, I've seen similar things happen quite often in the past whenever someone attempted to connect and a version mismatch was precluding their client from doing so correctly.

That said, I'm surprised that you had some issues with Minecraft's launcher (although I do have a complaint: it's slow since it checks Mojang's packages on AWS for a number of things, and if you have 1.5 installed under a different profile it's even slower), but it's probably because %appdata%\roaming\.minecraft may have been littered with stuff. Sometimes extra copies of the LWJGL can cause issues, although it's probably also just the launcher being retarded. Hopefully newer versions of the launcher will smooth things out or at least reduce the launch time considerably...

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you go it working. Josh mentioned the other day I could have used Steam to contact you (which I didn't think about), but I'd rather just post updates here for the handful of people who use the server since most everyone who does checks the forums at least once every couple of weeks unless they're busy. Plus I'm lazy.

I may eventually be adding some other things to the site to indicate server status more automatically, probably by writing a service wrapper for the Minecraft process, which would help alleviate some other issues as well. We'll see though. Once I push the new forum layout shameless onto everyone, there'll probably also be a few other goodies besides just Minecraft-related stuff.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Cosh Holga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:48 am

Yea steam offline msg or so will work....know how it is with not the most time to even touch the computer with a kid lol. So max my time by just choosing a game and playing during kids 15 min to 3hrs name pending on what he dose that day lol. Like the instant tree cut thing...almost got me when i chopped down a jungle tree other day from up top lol. Hope you guys get the web map working. Ive read a few different issue with this new launcher and version doing some odd stuff all around. Also didn't seem to be the 1st one with a problem logging into MC seance the 1.6 (though funny enough it was working for like 2 weeks or so before with 1.6 so idk lol) Sure they will fix some crap soon...or just update again with even more problems lol.
Cosh Holga
Hired Goon

Postby Zancarius » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:29 am

Dynmap is a tremendous resource hog--and it's been getting worse. With no one on the server and just a couple days' uptime, it'll easily force the Java process to consume ~1.5GiB which is unacceptable. I'll see if there's anything in particular that we can do (reducing generated map quality, limiting map generation to one world, etc.), but for now, I'm rather suspicious that it may have been a contributing factor to the problems we had some time ago when Apache triggered the OOM killer after being hit with a brute force attack. There just may not have been sufficient RAM available to coast following such an attack (on the other hand, there was an outdated version of Apache on the box at the time, and it was susceptible to some known problems--so who knows).

Either way, if we do re-enable Dynmap, the feature set it exposes will probably be different from what you're used to just to try cutting back on how much memory it allocates for the process. There's at least one other thing I can think of to try as well, but this will all take time!
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Cosh Holga » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Indeed, yea shame on the map...well least we have a good idea were everything is and a start of a bridge network lol. Time to pull out the old compass and paper method then lol.
Cosh Holga
Hired Goon

Postby Zancarius » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:44 pm

This post has been removed from announcements.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to Minecraft