It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:20 pm

World Boss Loot change

Chat pertaining to Guild Wars 2

World Boss Loot change

Postby Grimblast » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 am

I mentioned a discussion I saw in map chat last night that was talking about the loot change coming for world bosses. Guess a world boss kill is going to count as another form of daily so it helps reduce the amount of people swarming world boss kill events. Well played. That will certainly fix the overflow issue I suppose. Here's a quote of the above linked post. The downside is, less people will be showing up for dragon and temple kills potentially. To me this seemed to be the easiest solution but this means the loot is going to be crap on all the bosses again.

In the next release we will adjust the way that world mega bosses award their loot. The current chests will stay lootable once per day per character, but each boss’s guaranteed rare item drop will be moved to a separate chest (visually similar to daily achievement reward chests) that can only be acquired once per day across an account.

Our intention with this change is to keep providing rewarding loot for world mega bosses while avoiding overwhelming participation in boss fights (and overwhelming the economy with rares) from players cycling through each character slot for each boss every day.
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Re: World Boss Loot change

Postby Zancarius » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Presumably, this means that they want rare items to be back at around 100 gold a pop. This is probably to encourage a greater segment of the player population to convert real world money into gems and gems into gold. Kinda sucks that it makes things otherwise difficult to obtain even more prohibitive via the trading post. But, I've already purchased the one rare that I actually wanted back when it was relatively cheap, so I can't really complain.

Still, it's a shame that they didn't use other alternatives to deal with the overflow guesting situation. My prediction is that this will greatly reduce the number of people present during world boss encounters since there'll no longer be much incentive and people are inherently motivated by greed (more so in MMOs). On the other hand, it might pressure more people into running dungeons and/or fractals assuming the rare drops haven't been tweaked or reduced.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Elade » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Wait a sec. I've seen this before... Oh yeah! When people complained butter and chocolate and stuff were dropping too much, so ANet nerfed the *bleep* out of the drop rate. Which resulted in skyrocketing butter and chocolate prices.

Newton's Laws of MMOs strikes again!
"I am a cipher. A cipher wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
Elade
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Elade wrote:Newton's Laws of MMOs strikes again!

1) For every increase in character class DPS there is an equal and opposite nerf.
2) For every improved item drop rate, there is an equal number of players complaining about the effects on the game economy leading to eventual reductions.

?
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Elade » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am

I think you missed your true calling.
"I am a cipher. A cipher wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
Elade
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Clearly!
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to General Chat