It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

Server Restart?

Minecraft isn't just a chip off the ol' block. It's an addictive and deceptively complicated construction sandbox game. Play in survival mode (multiplayer, too!) while building fortifications to protect against zombie hordes--and other baddies that appear during the night--or try your hand at massive projects in creative mode. We run a local Minecraft server instance for guild members and others on an invite-only basis. See the sticky posts in this forum for details!
Forum rules
This forum is specifically intended for Minecraft-related discussions.

Server Restart?

Postby Zancarius » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:59 pm

I've been contemplating restarting a Minecraft service (maybe not necessarily our previous server, but a server). I'm just not quite sure how much interest there is, and there's a few issues.

First, Minecraft is a memory hog. Josh has been kind enough to run it on his server for the better part of 2-3 years, but I do think it's grossly unfair to demand that much available RAM for a single service that maybe 4 or 5 of us use. Compound this with the problem we had some time back with the kernel OOM killer targeting various processes at random which I suspect was at least partially the fault of Minecraft (little memory available, Apache ate the rest when something happened, and thus everything started getting killed--except, oddly enough, Minecraft).

Second, with Bukkit development in absolute disarray, I'm not sure exactly how I'd want to host it. One option would be to go back to vanilla Minecraft as we did for about a year prior to using Bukkit (maybe longer?) and simply put everyone on a whitelist. This option would give us the opportunity to return the game to how we originally played it in a sort of "creative survival" mode where you could play in creative or survival depending on your particular inclination. Further, we could provide op status to guildies who regularly play MC without much concern. (We did this before, and I can't recall having any major issues as a consequence thanks in part to the whitelist option.)

Finally, I could host it on my machine--or one of you could do the same--but the number of concurrent players would be confined by upstream bandwidth rather than memory constraints. This would leave us effectively in the same boat but with the guild services on Josh's machine unscathed.

Returning to stock Minecraft does have some benefits. Many of the Bukkit commands we're accustomed to have since been integrated in the retail server, and updates can occur as they are released. Resource consumption by the stock server is also lower than Minecraft + Bukkit. Only when you start including mods and total conversions do you start to encroach on memory consumption similar to that of Bukkit. There's also a noticeable lack of community politics and other rubbish since it's easy to avoid all that nonsense from the start.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Re: Server Restart?

Postby Grimblast » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:02 pm

I don't mind the server being restarted/rebooted on my hosted machine. I think we've all been preoccupied with other games but I'm sure the urge for a minecraft survival world will strike again sometime.
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:35 am

Yeah, true. I've just now finally gotten back into a Minecraft kick since Christmas, and I've really enjoyed the changes they made.

While I like Bukkit, I doubt we're going to be able to use that again...
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby MaxRile » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:39 pm

if anything we are the ones going to be using it and close.....Close friends (not my brother building what ever the fuck that was the last time)
Alice: How long is forever?
White Rabbit: Sometimes, Just one second.
-Lewis Carrol
MaxRile
Crazy Goon

Postby Jargath » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 pm

I am interested.
Jargath
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:22 pm

All right, then. Looks like we might see about getting it started up again.

Chances are, we're not going to be using Bukkit, so our tool set will be fairly limited. Though, the stock Minecraft server has imported most of the basic commands originally implemented by Bukkit. I'm not even sure we can use Bukkit at this point since the Minecraft <--> Bukkit bridge code was DMCAed by the individual who wrote it. Talk about sour grapes.

Anyway, that's where things stand right now. There have been several fairly substantial changes to Minecraft 1.8.1-release as well (not limited to terrain generation necessarily) which may be somewhat surprising, but I'll leave it to you guys to look up whatever you're interested in.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to Minecraft