It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:00 am

Goon Minecraft Server Updated to 1.6.6

Minecraft isn't just a chip off the ol' block. It's an addictive and deceptively complicated construction sandbox game. Play in survival mode (multiplayer, too!) while building fortifications to protect against zombie hordes--and other baddies that appear during the night--or try your hand at massive projects in creative mode. We run a local Minecraft server instance for guild members and others on an invite-only basis. See the sticky posts in this forum for details!
Forum rules
This forum is specifically intended for Minecraft-related discussions.

Goon Minecraft Server Updated to 1.6.6

Postby Zancarius » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Update

There is a bug in the addon that allows us to issue fine-grained control over permissions (what you can and can't do), and when it crashes, it prohibits you from placing or destroying blocks. I think I have configured the server to reconnect to the database on timeout, but there's only one way to find out. ;)

Update

The Goon Minecraft server has now been updated to 1.6.6. You can view the changelog here.

CPU use seems to have increased slightly over the 1.5.x branch, so I'll be keeping a close eye on it. If it spikes too much, I may have to revert it to 1.5. As it stands, things are looking OK and a revert seems unlikely.

You should also have access to trap doors and numerous other features including, but not necessarily limited to, the Nether. The Nether most certainly works but watch out for ghasts. Their fireballs will explode and destroy a certain number of bricks near its impact site.

Also, Permissions 3.x has changed the underlying structure somewhat, so I've migrated its settings over to an SQL backend. This means that I had to recreate the permissions groups by hand. If you're having trouble doing something on the server (specifically, building or destroying blocks), contact me either through here or on the server (if I'm on), and let me know. Most everyone should be either in the users group or the moderators group, and your permissions should be mostly analogous to what they were before. As always, users new to the server will be unable to destroy blocks or build anything until they receive permission to do so. If you feel something isn't right, please post here along with a description of the problem and the approximate time of day that you were on.

---

I may be updating the 'goon server to 1.6.6 sometime this evening. There are a few minor issues I have encountered with configuring Permissions and a couple of other plugins (WorldGuard/MyHome/etc). I think I have it ironed out on my test server; when I do, I'll be copying the appropriate configs over to here.

This post will be updated whenever I get to adding 1.6.

Also, note that 1.6 adds a few new features (and breaks others). Specifically, trapdoors have now been added to the game.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Re: Goon Minecraft Server Updated to 1.6.6

Postby Zancarius » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:08 pm

As a reminder, be certain to backup your %APPDATA%/Roaming/.minecraft directory before and after updating to Minecraft 1.6.6.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Grimblast » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:08 pm

It appears I'm not able to destroy blocks. I'll probably call ya in a bit about it.
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:39 pm

As I discovered after Josh gave me a call, it turns out that the Permissions module doesn't properly reconnect with the database. This causes it to crash. Since this is a problem with Permissions and since others may run into this same issue, please post here if you encounter it. The only way to fix it is to issue a server restart.

If I think about it, I might grab the permissions sources and see where the connection breaks down. It should be a trivial fix.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to Minecraft