It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm

Raid social theory

Instance and raid scheduling.

Raid social theory

Postby Tirian » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 pm

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 7893&sid=1

I'm hoping to become The Drunk, or possibly The Chick With Accent.
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:25 am

Both are highly plausible.

Hmm, I'm not completely described, so I should add one.

The Axe-wielding maniac: Tends to be highly moody and grows increasingly more infuriated as the evening wears on--especially if placed in TS with TheKnowItAllWhoSpendsHisTimeCorrectingTheRaidLeader. Probably a few pennies short of a dollar. Tends to interject in TS with commentary that has nothing to do with the matter at hand. Generally not funny but periodically cracks a dirty joke that garners a few chuckles and subsequently wipes the raid. Pulls aggro often. Doesn't care. Tends to help lowbie groups in Stratholme exclusively in the hopes that he/she can single-handedly kill the entire party when the Baroness MCs him/her. Gains a great deal of joy from inflicting suffering upon party mates when under the effects of mind control. Trolls message boards often and probably uses Linux. Hates $RACE almost as much as Microsoft.
I gave that lich a phylactery shard. Liches love phylactery shards.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Tirian » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:17 am

The problem is I'm actually the Warlock Whisperer, as I'm always lost, but because I am the Warlock there's usually no one to summon me. Maybe I should have rolled a mage or rogue, now I'm feeling all emo :oops:

Thal you would be the off-spec guy, if only you weren't so flippin' good at swinging that axe with those thin little arms of yours.

I've never actually been through Strath... I want to see you do this to this lowbie group!
Letting the demon do the work for me since 2004.
I play to some degree: WoW (EU now, US before), Guild Wars 2 (EU), SWTOR.
Tirian
Officer

Postby Zancarius » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Well, if you didn't hear the story about Stratholme... I'll share.

Someone in-guild had an alt who needed a run through Strat (I don't remember who, and that alt may have been out of guild--it's been a while). Unfortunately, the PuG they were in started to fragment a bit, so they didn't have a chance to run through (they needed a tank, I think). So, I offered to help them out.

Now, as far as Strat goes, I can't really solo it because of the long duration diseases, and because one such disease actually prohibits you from regenerating health, including via food (bandages work, but it has a damage tick every 10 seconds). However, I can solo each of the bosses without trouble, including the Baroness. The Baroness can either be the first or second boss in the instance, being as she's very close to the entryway and adjacent to Nerub, the spider. During group encounters, she will periodically possess a member of the group, increasing their total hitpoints and damage by a significant margin. Groups must attack their possessed party mate until he or she reaches around 50% of their total HP, at which point the Baroness will release them and return to her banshee form. However, when the Baroness will only possess someone if more than one person exists in her threat table and is in combat. Whenever I have helped groups out in Strat, I tell them to stay near the door and NOT assist me in any manner, shape, or form.

Unfortunately, the group I was with didn't listen to my directions. I was insistent, too, and stated at least 5 times that I cannot be healed or helped. I even warned them that they would wipe if they did so much as step too close to me during the encounter. (I'll usually use recklessness, too, in order to help me take the Baroness down but held off on the pretext that they probably weren't listening.) So, during the first thirty seconds of the encounter, I had gotten the Baroness to around 75% and then noticed a heal tick--their shaman was healing me. Shortly after he joined the battle, one of their ranged attackers added a dot to the Baroness, and by the time I typed "STOP!" she had possessed me. I started laughing, too, because there wasn't a damn thing I could do, and they had just loosed a very angry Thalaria hell-bent on slaughtering every mindless noob who failed to follow my directions. Cackling wildly behind my computer, I barely mustered the effort to type a simple two word response: "You're boned."

The best part? They ran. Oooh did they run. They ran as fast as their little gnomish legs could take them (I killed the shaman shortly after he healed me, as he wasn't far enough to run). It was a slaughter fest, too, being as I was one-shotting each of them. Given the possession's increased damage output, my crits were around 3.5k for white damage alone, which was about the total number of hit points all but their pally had. Their pally even bubbled, but she didn't make it halfway out the instance before the bubble wore off and Thalaria chopped her down.

Fortunately, they were well-motivated to listen to me very closely for the second try.

A little bit of interesting trivia: After the Baroness has possessed someone and that person slaughters their entire party, she releases them and resets, dropping out out of combat. I had never seen that happen before, so I assumed I was going to have to fight her. As it turns out, that wasn't the case.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Postby Sumdumbmage » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Aside from the may be your best player deal. I am totally Mr.Mikeless, maybe a hybrid of Mr.Mikeless and the "Can you hear me now" guy. I have however narrowed the issue down to being only on the laptop so i'll prolly start using the desktop more when in groups. So don't get freaked if you Actually hear my voice.
Sumdumbmage

Postby Highgrade » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:43 am

Pally Healer Reporting for duty!
Highgrade
Officer

Postby Grimblast » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:40 am

BDFL. (Benevolent Dictator For Life.) - This is the type of GM that secretly controls you with kind gestures and protecting you from jerks while at the same time making you take over the world for him.

*hypnotic eyes* :D
Guild Wars 2 Characters
Turalia Gearspark - Asuran Engineer ----------- Turus Gearspark - Asuran Guardian
Thelena Turusian - Norn Warrior ---------------- Jake Turusian - Human Thief
Dililah Turusian - Norn Necromancer ------------ Rahl Braincrusher - Char Mesmer
Star Earthbreaker - Sylvari Elementalist -------- Rylo Preystalker - Char Ranger
Grimblast
Site Admin

Postby Zancarius » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Oh oh oh... that reminds me...

BOFH (this is me) - Bastard Operator From Hell. Usually used in the context of system administrators. I think it's pretty self-explanatory.
Zancarius
Site Admin

Return to Instances and Raids